Friday, 10 October 2014

Labels

There has been a lot of controversy lately about this interview


In this interview with Oprah, Raven said

 “I don’t want to be labeled as gay. I want to be labeled as a human who loves humans. I’m tired of being labeled. I’m an American. I’m not an African-American, I’m an American,” said Raven.

Later, she was accused of saying she 'wasn't black' and had to issue an apology explaining what she meant.

Personally, I think what she was saying was that she didn't want to be labelled. End of. This is something that is close to my heart because I have been campaigning against negative labels for a long long time.

What difference does it make if you want to love someone of the same sex or a different sex, or both, or neither or you have no gender? Why the labels?

Okay, maybe someone who is out and proud WANTS to call themselves gay/trans/bi and that's absolutely fine. It's their choice. Simple as. It's the negative connotations that go with the label that I hate.

I write stories/books that have gay characters, or characters who are in a relationship with someone of the same sex. In some of my stories a character will say...I'm not gay. I'm not attracted to men in general. I'm just in love with you, because you're you!

I've been slated for not labelling my stories as 'gay' on online story sites and have even had someone say they are 'offended' because they started reading a story only to find out the characters were gay, and I should have warned them. Why? Why should I label my stories as 'gay' or 'm/m' or any other label that identifies particularly the sexual orientation of my characters? Okay it helps the target audience find the book/story, but why should I HAVE to? Why should I worry about someone being offended by my characters.

What are your thoughts. Do you think labels such as 'gay' and 'African American' are good, bad, or purely a matter of choice?

I look forward to reading your comment. You can agree, disagree or not care one way or another, but above all please be respectful of the other point of view. Anyone who isn't will be immediately deleted.

No comments:

Post a Comment