Tuesday, 10 November 2015

NaNoWriMo 2015 Day 10


Not going as well as I'd hoped, but still on track. For some reason writing isn't flowing as fluidly as it usually does, which is strange as I like the story very much. Ah well, almost half way at 24008 words.

Here's today's snippet












Wisp smiled at him. “Not as different as you might think. There’s a pattern to it all. It’s hard when you’re not brought up with it, but you’ll see it eventually. Things will make sense.”

“What if I don’t? What if I never fit in here?” Tay’s heart skipped. He hadn’t voiced the fear before, but it had been there, hanging in the air since he first accepted he really was a prince. “What if I’m not good enough?”

“You can’t not be good enough,” Wisp said. “You are what you are. The land and people will accept you – good or bad. If you don’t fit in with them, they will eventually fit in with you, so don’t push yourself too hard.”

“But I don’t want to be bad. I want to be a good prince; a good king. I always knew I was going to do something big; something great. At least I always thought I would. I worked hard at school, to get good grades, to go to university, to make an important life. Well, all that was pointless, but I got what I wanted. I got an important life, and it scares the hell out of.”

“Don’t think you’re done with school.”

“What do you mean?”

“It will be a different kind of school, for sure, but once you’ve settled in you’ll be working with tutors to bring you up to speed on everything you need to know about The Kingdom – geography, history, politics – not to mention your training in the use of your powers.”

“Oh right, yeah, those. I almost forgot.” Tay laughed. “No I didn’t. I didn’t forget, not for a minute. I almost killed someone and I think I almost killed myself. I’m terrified of them coming out again. I 
don’t want to learn to use them. I want them to go away.”

“Well, that’s not going to happen. Get used to it.”

Tay glared at Wisp, but Wisp was grinning, and Tay had to follow him.

“The way your powers came through was too fast and too early. It was like water bursting through a dam. It will never be that wild and uncontrolled again. Trust me. Once you start learning what you can do, you’ll never want to stop.”

Wisp held out his hand, palm up, toward Tay. At first, it seemed a swirling mist was rising, then it drifted together to form a sphere. Tay watched fascinated as it coalesced and hardened until Wisp was holding a delicate bubble filled with swirling smoke. Wisp held it out and Tay touched it with one finger. It was hard and cold, like glass.

“Take it.”

Tay gingerly lifted the globe and turned to examine it in the light spilling from the inside of the castle. The more he gazed into the globe, the more it seemed there was something inside, obscured by the swirling mist.

“What’s in it?”

“One day, your powers will allow you to see. It will give you something to work toward.”


“You’re giving it to me? No. It’s too beautiful. I’ll break it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment