Monday, 9 November 2015

NaNoWriMo 2015 Tay's Trials



So, I'm doing NaNo this year, with a YA Fantasy Adventure, which is the middle book in a trio that tells the story of an ordinary sixteen year old schoolboy, who discovers he's actually a fairy prince, sent to the human world to protect him from demons. The first book follows him into the fairy world, which they call The Kingdom, and this one follows him as he explores his new world and family, helped by some new friends, and hunted by demons.

So far I've written 22027 words, and I thought I'd share a few of them. I'll continue to do so as I work my way toward the magic 50000 and beyond.

Enjoy




Silence fell, if silence it could be called, as it was thick with the whispering of the trees. It was as if Willow’s challenge had been taken up and passed from tree to tree. Nothing stirred.

Willow did not call again, but waited, his feet apart and his hand on the hilt of his sword. His entire stance screamed of challenge, but no one stepped up to meet it.

Tay was about to call Willow back into the car, when the undergrowth parted and a shining white creature stepped onto the road, about ten feet from Willow, who stumbled back a step or two. At first, Tay thought it was a unicorn, but it had no horn, and resembled a deer more than a horse. It tossed its head and opened its mouth. A clear, melodic harmony floated into the air, like the notes of a flute, dropping one by one into the silence and owning it. Tay was entranced as, apparently was Willow as he seemed frozen, gazing at the creature with a strange, enraptured expression.

The melody was disappointingly short, and when it was done, the creature turned and disappeared back into the forest. Tay’s heart ached at the loss. He wanted to call it back, to beg for more, to run into the forest after the creature, but he did none of it. Instead, he sat back in his seat and wondered what the hell had just happened.

After a few moments, Willow got back into the car and took up his position opposite Tay. He seemed dazed, his usual cool exterior ruffled.

“What was that?”

“It was a light fawn.” Willow’s voice seemed a little shaky.

“Is that a good thing or a bad thing?”

“It depends. If your heart is pure, their song is a blessing.”

“And if it isn’t?”

“It’s a harbinger of death.”

“Oh. Right. Shit. Um…I don’t know if I’m going to regret asking, but is death instant, you know? Or do we hang around waiting, just in case one of us drops dead?”

Willow smiled, the expression of shock and fear disappearing from his face. “It’s instant,” he said. “I’m just surprised. I wouldn’t have considered my heart to be anywhere near pure. I should be dead right now.”

“I think your heart is pure,” Tay said, smiling. “If it hadn’t been you would have killed Cale and I would already be….” His tongue tripped over the word ‘home’. He just couldn’t say I about somewhere that was so not his home. “back. I would probably be broken in a hundred pieces, at least.”

“The light fawn is one of the symbols of the royal family. It’s on your coat of arms. I probably got away with it because I’m with you.”


Tay snorted. “Yeah, right. Can we get moving again?”

No comments:

Post a Comment