Tuesday, 15 December 2015

On Being Fat, Brown, Femme, Ugly and Unlovable


I think the following article is something many people will identify with. It's a real issue in this society where image is everything and the ideal of the thin, white, symmetrically beautiful man, or woman, is still being flaunted, leading to many young people, in particular, who can't match up, to feel bad about themselves and falling into a cycle of self hatred and insecurity.

This leads in to a lot of discussion I've seen lately among the LGBT writing community, about objectification of men in the stereotypes they are writing about. 

Although there is a growing trend of writing characters who are 'less than' the norm, being physically, mentally and socially 'inferior' there is still a tendency, as can be seen on the front covers of many books, to write about, macho men, with perfect abs and muscles.

I have to admit I am as guilty as many of writing my own physical ideals. Almost all my characters are beautiful, with long hair and slender frames. I think it's because I find it easier to write my fantasies, which are populated with this kind of man.

http://www.blackgirldangerous.org/2014/07/fat-brown-femme-ugly-unloveable/

I would love to have feedback and opinions on the subject and to open a discussion which can hopefully lead to an understanding that people who are fat, brown (or any other colour) and femme (or any other identification) are totally not ugly and not unloveable

No comments:

Post a Comment