Friday, 1 January 2016

Why I love education, but hate school.

Why I love education, but hate school.


Yes, before I begin, I am aware there's a poem of the same name as this post, and yes, I admit it did indeed  inspire me to write this post, as did the poem/rap 'Don't Stay in School'.

Hello people, it's me, Efan, I'm back!

I know it's been a while, but here I am with my latest blog. I hope you all enjoy!



Why I love education, but hate school.


I love education, I love learning, I love knowledge. But I hate school. Why? Here's why:

Schools don't encourage individuality, they don't treat people as individuals, they try to cram everyone through the same gates - cut and paste. There's nowhere to truly be yourself, especially if you don't fit into one of the 'groups'. Even the teachers seem to promote the segregation and treat you differently if you're one of the popular crowd. (said as someone who never had been)

 Another thing I REALLY hate about school, is the way they handle the actual education bit, ie forcing everyone to be taught things  they have NO interest in. They force people whose only aspiration in life is to become an artist. to sit through hours of science, which they don't pay attention to anyway. 

Now, I'm not saying lessons such as maths and english should not be mandatory, no, but what I AM saying is, that we should be given more freedom in what we learn, and how we learn it.

It won't be a surprise to anyone to learn that kids can, and will, be dicks. I know this as well as anyone. And from my own experience I know it's much harder to learn in a group environment, Not only does everyone seem so flipping loud and angsty, the teachers go at the pace of the slowest child, leaving the faster ones to get bored, and not pay attention. The system is supposed to be tailored to the individual child, so it confuses me  how they seem to fuck (pardon my language) every god-damn thing up!

Honestly, I love learning, and I'm sure many others do, too. But, the way it is now is not good. I'm sure it's all to do with stuff like administration, rules and regulations, but the teachers are just as much sheep as everyone else in just doing what they're told and not caring about us, the students.

Maybe if they start using their heads, they'll realise that by giving more freedom for us to have a say in our education, in how WE want to learn, and to go at our OWN pace,  maybe everyone will have a better learning experience at school. Maybe more people will be able to realise their dreams.

I've already written about bullying, but this is another big thing that gets in the way of education. It's not just the big bullies, it's all the little ones - the snide comments, giggles, looks and tricks and all the other things that made school unbearable to me. Surely, if science and religion are part of the compulsory timetable, surely respect and how not to be a dick should be, too.

Thanks for reading!

     -Efan


1 comment:

  1. Schools could do a lot to improve, but they are also doing a lot of things well. It's hard to find the best way to educate an entire population of such varied people when resources are limited. As a former teacher, just let me say it's hard work and many of us put a lot of effort into being creative. I think project-based learning is the key. Change is very slow in education though. I guess that's what I didn't remain in the classroom, but I do miss it at times.

    ReplyDelete